Pet Emergency and Referral Resources
The veterinary team of At Home Animal Clinic understands that emergencies are never pleasant or convenient. During our regular business hours, At Home Animal Clinic’s staff will help you with a wide range of emergencies your pet may experience.
If possible, please call (651) 351 – 7387 in advance so we can prepare for your arrival.
For emergencies that occur outside of our regular hospital hours, or if current staffing is not adequate to provide safe care for your seriously ill or injured pet, we refer our clients to the Animal Emergency and Referral Center of Minnesota Clinics. They offer two convenient locations and are staffed ready to receive emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year.
Beyond emergency care, the Animal Emergency and Referral Center provides a large selection of specialty care including surgery, dermatology, internal medicine, dentistry, cardiology, rehabilitation, neurology, and oncology.
What Constitutes an Emergency for My Pet?
It can sometimes be difficult to determine if your pet’s symptoms qualify as an “emergency,” or if they can wait for a regular veterinary visit. Here are some general guidelines to determine when it is an emergency:
- Major trauma, such as being hit by a car
- Allergic reactions such as swelling around the face or hives on the torso
- Excessive bleeding that doesn't stop within 5 minutes
- Difficulty breathing, choking, or nonstop coughing and gagging
- Bleeding from nose, mouth, rectum; coughing up blood, or blood in urine
- Signs of pain or inability to urinate or pass feces
- Eye injuries or sudden changes in sight
- Suspect or know your pet has eaten something poisonous
- Seizures, tremors, or staggering
- Collapse, weakness, or unconsciousness
- Fractured bones, severe lameness or inability to use leg(s)
- Signs of extreme pain, such as whining, shaking, and refusing to socialize
- Heat stress or heatstroke
- Vomiting or diarrhea that lasts for more than 24 hours
- Refusal to eat or drink for 24 hours or more
- Difficulty giving birth
Emergency Clinic Location and Contact Information
1160 Helmo Avenue North|
Oakdale, MN 55128
St. Paul Location:
1542 W 7th St.
St Paul, MN 55102